Susan G. Komen® Memphis-MidSouth Mississippi is pleased to announce that the postponed 21st annual Susan G. Komen Metro Jackson Race for the Cure® event is now scheduled for October 3. The annual event will be different than years past in order to comply with COVID-19 restrictions and to protect the health of our participants.
The only in-person portion of Race for the Cure will feature a Survivor Car Parade in which survivors are encouraged to decorate their car. Participants are not allowed to exit their vehicle at the parade. The parade line-up will take place at Smith Wills Stadium in Jackson with a line-up at 8:00 a.m. and the parade starting at 8:30 a.m. The remaining portion of the annual event will be held virtually. Race Day will maintain the same flow as years past with participants hearing from the Honorary Race Chair, Barbara Craft, and the Survivor of the Year, Donna Ladd. Prior to the event, participants are encouraged to dress up themselves and their pets, and submit pictures through the Metro Jackson Race for the Cure Facebook Group page.
“Although much different than years past, we are excited to finally celebrate the 21st anniversary of Komen Metro Jackson Race for the Cure,” said Catherine Young, senior vice president of Komen Memphis-MidSouth Mississippi. “We are happy that we have found a way to safely acknowledge our survivors through the parade and encourage excitement through the photo contest. This is our largest event in our service area and the funds raised have helped over 232,630 people locally. Race for the Cure not only raises money in the fight to end breast cancer, it celebrates our survivors, our co-survivors, honors those we have lost, and brings everyone together in the fight to end this disease. We exceeded our goal in 2019 and look forward to raising funds this year that help the people in our area.”
Since 1999 Race for the Cure has provided $3.6 million in direct grants to local health providers in the 59-county service area in Mississippi including $100,000 in grants for 2019. Race for the Cure had also provided $859,210 to breast cancer research. The numbers will increase more after the completion of this year’s grant cycle. The grants from Race for the Cure provide the funds for these life important screenings, mammogram, diagnostics and treatment. One hundred percent of Race for the Cure net event proceeds goes toward breast health services with 75 percent staying here in our community for local breast health care programs. The remaining 25 percent goes toward breast cancer research. No one else does what we do for women and men here at home.
Susan G. Komen® Central Mississippi Steel Magnolias joined forces with Susan G. Komen® Memphis to create Susan G. Komen® Memphis-MidSouth Mississippi. This formation allows the affiliate to expand the fight to end breast cancer by serving the State of Mississippi and 14 counties in Tennessee.
For more information about Race for the Cure, to become a sponsor or register for the event, call 601.932.3999 or visit komenmemphisms.org.