Entergy Mississippi has demolished its former Distribution Operations Center located at Tombigbee and Commerce Streets in downtown Jackson. The building was part of the city’s downtown area for nearly a century.
The DOC site was once the location of a power plant and streetcar barns for Jackson’s trolley system, built in 1899. The electric streetcars replaced mule-drawn streetcars, with the power plant providing electricity for the streetcar system.
The new DOC is a renovated warehouse on property just south of the original DOC that Entergy bought from the Irby Company in the 1980s. It is now a 35,000-square-foot, $20-million facility that is very high-tech while still retaining some of the original architectural features
Entergy chose to stay near the site of the original DOC because the company is committed to the capital city and wanted to invest in downtown Jackson, where so many employees worked through the decades.
Even after the new DOC opened, the old building remained in use. It temporarily housed employees displaced by a fire in the Electric Building in 2019 and Entergy Nuclear employees who relocated there while renovations were underway at their Echelon headquarters building in north Jackson.
The site is being transformed into a green space and will be part of the new DOC complex bordered by Tombigbee, Commerce, South and Jefferson streets.