The Official Mississippi Women’s Club recently celebrated its 80th anniversary with a recognition ceremony at the state Capitol. The club was founded in 1938 by Mrs. Hugh White, then first lady of the state of Mississippi. The first formal reception for members and their husbands was hosted by Gov. and Mrs. White at the Governor’s Mansion July 21, 1938. Since then, the OMWC has welcomed into its fellowship not only wives of state officials but increasing numbers of women elected to public service. Shown with First Lady Deborah Bryant are past presidents who attended the ceremony at the Capitol (from left) Barbara Blanton, Janella Lee, Sharon Ross, Bryant, Glynda Chandler, Jennifer Hall, Susan Beckett, Elee Reeves, Beth Aldridge and Kay Ward.