The Northside Sun and our exceptional staff have won many awards over the years. With over half a century of operation, our history as a publication runs deep into the developmental history of our community.
Much of our work routinely impacts both local and state-wide elements within Mississippi. We have featured everything from Jackson-centric stories to governmental shifts that shape the lives of everyone in the state.
Our editorial standards, consistent striving for excellence and our general sense of integrity have led to our paper featuring some outstanding award-winning journalism. Listed below are some of our most recent awards.
• Retail Ad - Color, 3rd Place: Northside Sun - "St. Martin's Gallery"
• Service Ad - Color, 2nd Place: Jenny Woodruff, "Paul Moak Volvo”
• Series of Ads, 1st Place: Amy Forsyth, "Treehouse Boutique Series”
• Series of Ads, 3rd Place: Jennifer Stribling, "COVID SUPPORT CAMPAIGN"
• Magazine Ad - Retail, 1st Place: Misti Sims, "Garden Works” - Judges: “I just really like this ad - it is very clean and neat looking and gives customers inspiration.”
• Magazine Ad - Institutional/Financial, 2nd Place: Jennifer Stribling, "Kennedy & Company Real Estate”
• General News Story, 1st Place: Anthony Warren, "Secrecy”
• Planned Series, 1st Place: Nikki Rowell, "Gluckstadt incorporation” - Judges: “Good use of art elements to tell the story to catch the eye. Comprehensive look at the situation.”
• Planned Series, 2nd Place: Anthony Warren, "Convention Center shortfalls” - Judges: “Key issues taxpayers need to know about. Good use of data, requesting information and telling the taxpayers what they need to know.”
• Planned Series, 3rd Place: Anthony Warren, "Community Improvement Districts series" Judges: “Good incorporation of local voices, a variety of content and coverage of a key issue”
• Business News Story, 2nd Place: Anthony Warren, "Legislators change strategies pushing of wine sales in grocery stories” - Judges: “Interesting story. Good use of graphics to illustrate purpose of legislation and how it may affect local businesses”
• Sports Feature, 1st Place: Anthony Warren, "For the Love of the Game: Basketball” - Judges: “Superior coverage with graphics mainly scene in SI, not a newspaper. Excellent work by the sports group for putting together a solid piece and ensuring plenty of photos for those who are visual readers. Way to go and keep it up!”
• Commentary Column, 1st Place: Wyatt Emmerich - Judges: “Emmerich has such an absorbing tone to his writing. Readers are engaged from start to finish with undeniable knowledge and a polished, veteran perspective.”
• Best News Package, 3rd Place: Nikki Rowell, "Underwater love”
• Editorial Page or Section, 3rd Place: Wyatt Emmerich, "Northside Sun Editorial Page”
• Editorials, 1st Place: Wyatt Emmerich
• Magazine Story, 1st Place: Nikki Rowell, "A Colorful Journey” - Judges: “Great writing and reporting on a compelling story.”
• Lede, 3rd Place: Anthony Warren, "Dog lede” - Judges: “You had to keep reading this story. Well done.”
• Bill Minor Award : General News Story - Anthony Warren, Secrecy
• Bill Minor Award : Emmerich Editorial Excellence - Northside Sun, Wyatt Emmerich
As a final note, we would like to thank each member of our staff for helping us achieve this level of recognition over the years. We sincerely appreciate how driven they have been toward the cause of great journalism.
We would also like to thank our readers, who remain committed to keeping up with the news from the Northside.