The Madison County Library System (MCLS) has begun contactless curbside service and materials return, which began Monday at all five branches in Madison, Ridgeland, Camden, Flora and Canton.
The library buildings will remain closed to the public, MCLS staff said in a recent statement.
“Our top priority continues to be the health and well-being of our staff, patrons and communities. We ask that all patrons carefully follow return and curbside procedures to maintain contactless service delivery,” the statement said.
All library materials, including DVDs and audiobooks, must be returned through the book return boxes. Library staff members ask that materials not be handed directly to staff.
The returned items will be placed in quarantine for two weeks, which means the items will not be checked in immediately. The process will take up to two weeks before items will be cleared from member accounts.
Fines on overdue items have been suspended at this time.
To use MCLS curbside services, patrons must reserve books and other materials by placing holds online, by email or by phone. After an item has been placed on hold, a member of the library’s staff will notify the cardholder when items become available.
To pick up, drive to the selected library during curbside pickup hours and park in the designated parking spots for curbside services.
Upon arrival, call the library and a staff member will bring the items out and place them on the hood of the patron’s car or in the trunk. Visitors are asked to remain in their car during delivery.
Some other guidelines from MCLS include:
• No more than five items per patron per day for pickup.
• If you have items to return, place them in the book return then return to your car – you must remain in your car for delivery.
• For those without a vehicle, after notifying MCLS that you have arrived, you must wait in the designated waiting area. Your items will be placed in the designated pickup area. Please wait for staff to return to the building before retrieving items.
• If you do not have a cellphone, you may use the intercom at the door of the library to let staff know you have arrived and then return to your car or the designated waiting area.
• Maintain at least six feet of social distance between you and any other patrons or staff at all times.
Curbside pickup hours will be Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Friday from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Questions or concerns may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.