The Grove and Junction promise to be quiet this fall, thanks to the COVID-19 outbreak.
On August 20, Gov. Tate Reeves signed an executive order implementing new restrictions on college game day activities.
The measure includes bans on tailgating, major traditions at Ole Miss and Mississippi State University.
“I know it’s a topic that we constantly get questions about. It’s something that’s been polarizing around the country—some conferences have opted not to make any effort to play. Some states have not yet put out their plans," said Reeves.
"This is an effort, which we worked closely with the universities on, to set a floor. We took their joint recommendations, and with a little work we put this plan together. This is the minimum that each school is required to do this fall, to keep players and spectators safe while allowing college football to occur.”
Reeves made the announcement at today’s COVID press briefing.
News comes as the cases of coronavirus appear to be trending down.
As of 6 p.m., August 19, 894 new infections were reported across the state, including 27 deaths.
Statewide, 75,449 confirmed and probable cases have been reported, along with 2,190 confirmed and probable COVID-related deaths, according to the Mississippi Department of Health.
In Hinds County, 6,098 cases have been reported, along with 130 deaths. Overall, 2,668 cases have been reported in Madison County, along with 77 deaths.
Under Executive Order No. 1519, bowl seating is limited to no more than 25% of seating capacity while maintaining six feet distance between households, with limits on club areas and suites as well. Additional social distancing measures include:
- Everyone over the age of 6 must wear masks as they enter/exit and throughout the stadium, unless they are seated. Masks are strongly encouraged while seated.
- Game day events such as tailgating and rallies outside the stadiums are prohibited.
- Individuals allowed on the sidelines are limited to those essential for the game.
- Concession stands are open, though grab-n-go food and drink options are strongly encouraged.
- All transactions should be contact-less and touch-less, such as mobile ticketing and cashless concessions.
You can view the full list of measures in the text version of Executive Order No. 1519 here. Signed versions of all executive orders related to COVID-19 can be found on our website at governorreeves.ms.gov/covid-19.
See the Sun's recent coverage on college tailgating: https://www.northsidesun.com/front-page-slideshow-news-breaking-news/tailgating-fall-football-ritual-tailgating-could-become#sthash.J7uhrj8D.dpbs